Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Real Excitement in the Air

There is excitement in the air…we are planning our vacation to coincide with our first anniversary and my father’s 88th Birthday. My son Ben has been gracious enough to offer to drive a very large RV down to Kentucky and Tennessee.

We are hoping that Sarah’s mom will be in Tennessee at that time, and she has a niece that lives there. She may get to see most of her family. That hasn’t quite been worked out yet.

I haven’t seen my parents since the week of September 11, 2001 (I was supposed to fly back to Minnesota on September 11th). Both of my parents are in failing health, but they are still hanging in there.

Sarah is still recovering from her surgery and it is “touch and go” sometimes with the nausea. There were a couple of times in the last two weeks that I thought that I was going to have to take her to the ER because of the violence of her nausea and the duration. The good thing is that we are always there for each other. I don’t think that I have ever experienced that in a marriage. You sometimes get unconditional love from your children and grandchildren and from your dogs. But it is a very rare thing to get unconditional love from a husband or wife. There are usually conditions (even if they are just implied).

Sarah accepts my eccentricities (and I have a lot) and even contributes to those things that I know she “thinks are nuts”. Neither of my earlier wives were that understanding. But, I am sure that most of the misunderstandings were my fault…I’ve been wrong since 1972.

Sarah may not be perfect, but honest to God, she is perfect for me. We are content just to be in each other’s company, to take care of each other, and to just be the best friends. She is my soul mate and it is wonderful to have found her (even if it is this late in my life).

One of my eccentricities is making pickles and hot pepper sauce…she really doesn’t approve because of the amount of sodium, but she tolerates. I am pretty much a DORK sometimes because I make lists…100 Greatest Guitar Players, etc. Sarah is very patient and she listens to the various musicians on Youtube and even critiques them with me sometimes. We are fortunate to both like the same kind of movies (most of the time) and she searches out those little gems that somehow fell by the wayside.

For some people our life might be very boring. For me it is pretty wonderful.


That’s all for now…see you next time!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to the trip. We'll even see you before that!

    ReplyDelete