Sunday, November 7, 2010

More Musings About My Life In TRF

Continuing my thoughts about living up here in the Frozen Tundra, other than the unbelievably cold winters and needing a “Rocket Train” to get anywhere, this is a wonderful place to live.

As cold as it is, most of the people are extremely warm and friendly. In some ways it is like stepping back in time to the early Sixties or even the Fifties. I had some misconceptions about the folks up here because of their mania for guns, their support for right to life, and their nationalistic pride. I almost figured them for “Tea Partiers”. I was really wrong.

When I began doing research on the candidates to vote this year, I discovered that they voted Democratic in overwhelming numbers. So much for assumptions…this is probably one of the Bluest areas in Minnesota.

I recently joined the Edlund-Holmstrom Post 117 of the American Legion. It made me feel wonderful because other than the Post commander, who is significantly younger than me, I was a “Youngun”. The fellow who signed me up had to keep adjusting his Ear Trumpet in order to hear my name and address and everyone was using either a cane or a walker. There are five hundred and some members…but only about twenty are active. Both the Mid Term Elections and the Legion meeting fell on Sarah’s birthday so we decided to have dinner there…good decision, we had some of the best food that we had in a very long time and it was cheaper than McDonalds.

On a different subject, we recently purchased the trailer next door, and will soon become “trailer trash slum lords”. It has been wonderful because it has allowed Sarah to exercise her nesting tendencies. She has made our temporary guest house into a lovely vacation cottage. It is really pretty spectacular, but she has worn herself out doing it.

Oh, and when we were out the other evening we had left Elsie in the entry way as normally do, but she got bored and decided to attempt suicide by shredding the beautiful Schefflera that Sarah got for her birthday last year. This is one of the most toxic plants to dogs, so I had to flush out her mouth with water and give her about three bowls of milk. She doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects, but I have never had a dog with as many suicidal tendencies. The next task was trying to prevent Sarah from committing pupacide.

And that is the absolute truth…give or take a lie or two!

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment