Thursday, August 27, 2009

By Special Request

I had a special request from one of my readers to “take a time out” and discuss some current events and other matters before finishing the story that is my life…

Here goes…I believe with Ted Kennedy’s passing the country lost a Great Voice. I am aware that he was flawed…the 1969 Chappaquiddick incident which resulted in the death of one of his aides, Mary Jo Kopechne ruined his chances of ever becoming President, and a number of drunken incidents at the Kennedy Compound in Florida tarnished his image further. That aside there was no greater voice for the Liberal cause than that of Senator Edward Moore Kennedy. He was called the “Liberal Lion” and the “Lion of the Senate,”and there was a reason for this. However flawed, the man created over 300 bills that were enacted into law. They addressed a variety of issues ranging from Civil Rights to Children’s Health insurance; from immigration to cancer research; from AIDS care to apartheid. He was a master at finding compromises and working with Republicans to get his bills enacted into law. Just as Bill Clinton had flaws in his morality, Ted Kennedy was flawed. But, both did tremendous service to their country. I believe that Senator Kennedy was far more influential as a Senator then he could have been as President of the United States. He served with distinction as the United States Senator from Massachusetts for forty-six plus years. He was not afraid to wear the label Liberal, but rather became the symbol of liberal thought and causes. Flawed as he was, he was one of my heros!

On a much lighter note…I think that the Vikings really enhanced their chances to repeat as North Division Champs and even…dare I say it, yes I will say it, winning the Super Bowl with the acquisition of Brett Favre. He has more weapons than he has had in years…an Offensive line that will protect him, a Running Back that is the star of the league, a solid core of receivers, and a Defense that shouldn’t force him to play from behind (where he gets into trouble). I also enjoy the fact that PACKER BACKERS get to see Number 4 in a purple jersey.

On a very personal note…I am extremely proud of my son, He possesses the intelligence and drive that will get him wherever he wants to go, and has a lovely and supportive wife (who is truly his partner). But, I do worry…I know that we both have “Bucket Lists” but his is far more aggressive and dangerous than mine. I still remember being young enough to believe that I was indestructible, and I always took my share of risks both in business and in my personal life. But, I think he might be pushing well beyond my comfort level. I hope you have good weather on Saturday, have fun, and never do it again!


See you next time…

1 comment:

  1. I agree, you have a son to be proud of! Two wonderful daughters to be proud of too!

    Opps..forgot...I am an evil stepmom....dang CRS....☺

    ReplyDelete