Friday, August 28, 2009

In Deference

In deference to my readers I will deal some more with current issues before going back to my long and sometimes painful life story.

But first, when I praised my son, I certainly did not to mean slight my two wonderful daughters…they are wives, mothers, busy with community activities, and still find time to excel at their chosen careers…love you and all the little girls, and miss you lots!!

Now more on my views on current issues…

In case there is any doubt, I am a card-carrying Democrat, and have been since 1963. I have only voted for one Republican Presidential Candidate…George H. W. Bush because he was so much more competent than Michael Dukakis. I am proud to be labeled a Liberal, and take umbrage at the efforts of the Radical Right to attempt to make it a philosophy that is outmoded, and almost a “dirty word”.

In my opinion this country has produced some of the finest examples of what a Liberal should be…the Kennedys, Lyndon Johnson, and Jimmy Carter ( I don’t really consider Clinton a Liberal, although he started out as one). I think that, if he let’s himself, Barak Obama will become a great Liberal.

Minnesota had her own examples: Hubert H Humphrey, Eugene McCarthy and Paul Wellstone…and South Dakota had George McGovern.

It is always dangerous to make generalizations but I believe that Liberals have more of a “heart” for people. They did much more to sponsor Civil Rights, Human Rights, and care for the disabled and aging. It is a fundamental Liberal position that being an American entitles each citizen to an opportunity for a decent standard of living, educational opportunities, and a “safety net” for those who experience catastrophic events. At times these entitlements have been and are being abused. But it is better that we accept the abuses than to destroy the fabric of the position.

I supported and voted for Barack Obama, and intend to support his candidacy and vote for him in 2012 (unless something terribly catastrophic occurs).

As an American, and a veteran, I am sick and tired of having my patriotism questioned…by individuals that should be behind bars for an extremely long period of time. These individuals are former Vice President Dick Cheney (who tarnished the office at least as much as Spiro Agnew or Richard Nixon) and Karl Rove (who “W” must have found under some Texas rock). I am fed up with the American Public for allowing individuals such as Bill O’Reilly, Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Bernard Goldman, and a host of others to pollute their mind with ‘toxic halftruths” and lies that have the sole purpose of “getting Obama”.

Cheney recently stated that the Justice Department’s revisiting of the conduct of CIA interrogators serves as a reminder of why Americans question the Administration’s ability to protect the Nation (Say what you mean, Dickie-Boy, you don’t want to go to jail).

On a completely unrelated topic I don’t believe that Michael Vick should have ever been allowed to play in the National Football League again, I believe that the EAGLES made a serious mistake signing him and I WILL NOT watch any game that he plays in…as a matter of fact I think that I will try to organize a boycott on Facebook.

That’s all for now…see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment